The primary objective of the work package is to document and analyze the direct consequences in value and ethical terms of the evolution of the internal/external security continuum for three members of the Mediterranean segment of the European Neighbourhood Policy: Morocco, Algeria, and Egypt. This primary objective comprises several sub-objectives:
- A review of the status of the Barcelona processes in terms of security.
- A comprehensive overview of EU policies in the three countries of the Mediterranean ENP relative to their values premises and ethical consequences.
- An empirically based analysis of security practices differentiated across the security continuum and between countries of the ENP.
- An empirical comparative assessment of the premises of border security between the EU and individual countries.
- An analysis of security strategies toward the ENP countries in terms of non-military security threats.
- A documentation of cultural variations in application of external security (immigration control, visa control, screening, identification, surveillance).
- An evaluation of social and cultural values as a basis for good governance activities in Eastern segment of the European Neighbourhood Programme.